The First Aett
| Fehu | Uruz | Thurisaz | Ansuz | Raido | Kenaz | Gebo | Wunjo |
FEHU (Feoh, Faihu, Fe)
Number(s): 6, 24
Astrological Sign: Taurus
Stones: Carnelian, Green Tourmaline, Amber
Associated Tarot Card: III - The Empress
The rune name Fehu literally means "cattle", the measure of wealth in early Germanic history. This worth of cattle was later transferred to the gold you could use to buy them. Both served in turn as the physical representation of mobile energy (which manifests as money in human dealings). This rune is translated as gold or wealth in the rune poems, but its etymological origin suggests the strength of fertility and lifeforce.
- Prosperity, money, wealth, concern with physical and financial needs, goals, promotion, self-esteem, staying centered. - Karma. - Fulfillment, ambitions satisfied, rewards received. - Conserve what has already been gained. - Protection of achievements. - Good fortune, wealth, luck. - Relationship: Financial prospects approaching. - Relationship: Attitudes in the relationship need looked at. - Honesty. - Clearly define what it is you desire. - Enjoy your good fortune, but also share it. - This is also the rune of the elemental power of Fire.
- Falling short in your efforts. - Doubtful situations are abundant. - Frustrations and shortcomings. - Observe yourself and the situation. Ask "What do I need to do to further?" - Cowardice, stupidity, slavery, dullness, bondage. - Bankruptcy, loss of personal esteem. - Do not fritter away resources on personal whims or lost causes. - Being overcome by the odds. - Misusing your gifts. - You are letting what is yours slip away.
- Used to attract wealth and protect property. - Signify power over the environment. - To obtain a goal. - Used for the Transfer of Energies:
1. Use for protection.
2. Use to draw energy into yourself for a temporary increase in power
- Used to awaken your personal power and send it outward. - Used with other runes - Causes a fiery increase in power.
- Good for the blood - flux it or give it energy.
URUZ (Ur, Urus, Urdizzle)
Astrological Sign: Leo
Stones: Tiger Eye
Associated Tarot Card: VIII - Strength
The rune name Uruz means "aurochs", the mighty wild bovine. It is the rune of powerful unconscious-shaping energies of the Universe. that can be guided by wise men. Uruz is the rune of Wyrd as an active force, as well as the rune used to direct the magical shaping will into the well of Urdhr.
- Energy, passion, vitality, instinct, wildness, - Sexuality, fertility, - the unconscious, primitive mind, - irrationality - Shamanic experience, Rite of Passage. - Terminations and new beginnings. - Opportunities disguised as loss. - Possibly death, decay and gestation. - Maturity and the higher self. - Determination and assertiveness. - Relationship: Endurability. - Creative power. - Spiritual freedom. - Good fortune. - Advancement in career. - Robust health. - Prepare for changes and exciting events ahead. - Spiritual: Willpower needs to be controlled. - Power drawn from Mother Earth. - Manipulation, creation.
- Possible missed opportunity - Be alert! - Strength may be used against you. - The strength of the failure depends on your awareness. - Lust, brutality, rashness, callousness, violence, sexual desire. - Missed chances. - Negative influences. - Bad luck or minor illnesses.
- Clear obstacles or change circumstances. - Send resolve and courage, restore hope, galvanize into action, - Increase sexual potency in men. - Strengthen the will. - Self change - Aid the growth of wisdom within yourself. - Defense. - Used with other runes: brings them into being on all levels of reality.
- Maintain health of body and mind. - Dispel weakness and self doubt. - Strengthen the effort of the will to enhance good health and energy
THURISAZ (Thorn, Thuith, Thurs, Thurisa)
Astrological Sign: Libra
Stone(s): Agate, Bloodstone, Iron Oxide Hematite
Associated Tarot Card: XI - Justice
The rune name Thurisaz means "giant". Etymologically it means "strong one" and as such is appropriate to the hammer of Thor, to which this Rune is sometimes referred. The nature of Thurisaz is phallic and aggressive, as is the shape of the rune itself. Thurisaz is the rune of forth-rushing power, and brute force. This is also the rune of aimed might, melding the brute force of fire and ice to create a powerful, but guided, reaction.
- Hardship, painful event, discipline, knowledge, introspection, focus. - Reflect on yourself, contemplate your motives. - Recognize your readiness. - There is an important decision to be made. - Passion, chaos, conflict. - Don't decieve yourself. - Powerful forces are at work. - Relationship: General conflict, battle of wills. - Wisdom, true will. - There is work to be done both within and without of yourself. - You can see what is hidden. - Good news from afar, unexpected luck. - The God Thor, protection. - There may be small discomforts that need endured (much like thorn pricks to pick a rose). - Could represent a bad man or woman.
- Watch making hasty decisions. - Watch your temper impulses. - A lot of halts, but may have sudden growth. - Need for purging, a cleansing fire. - Bad news is coming. - Use caution.
- It is helpful to use the point of terminated crystals in magic with Thurisaz - Used for protection and defense. - Warding - Set to strike back at another's thrust. - Meditation. - Self-discipline. - War, destruction. - To prick yourself awake and strengthen and aim your use of force. - Can be used to remove evil if fenced in with protective runes.
***This rune is powerful and one should be careful in its use***
- Used to disinfect and sterilize.
ANSUZ (Ansus, Os, Ass, Aesir, Ansur)
Astrological Sign: Gemini
Stone(s): Lapis Lazuli
Associated Tarot Card: I - The Magician
The rune name Ansuz means "God", or the Anglo-Saxon form is "mouth". This rune is a stave of opening in every way. Ansuz opens lines of communication, opens the subconscious to receive and transmit artistic inspiration, as well as releasing locks and blocks of energy. This rune is the rune of Air, and as such, blends both manly and womanly qualities. (Note: Before the addition of the modern "blank rune", THIS was Odin's Rune!)
- Authority figure, leader, mind and body balance, justice, shaman, clairvoyance, poetry. - Recieve the message. - Explore the depths of life. - Give to yourself. - Focus on the past to direct the future. - Wisdom, occult power, healing, cunning speech. - Relationship: Growth of interpersonal communication. - There is always someone wiser than you; listen to their council. This can be an elderly or knowledgeable person as well as coming from unexpected sources - even fools or babies. - Expect the unexpected. (This rune is also the trickster rune!) - Self change: A call to a new way of life. - Be aware during meetings with others. - Draw from the well for yourself first, then you can draw for others. - Can mean a good man or woman.
- Failed communications. - Lack of clarity. - Time to get rid of the old - If the well is clogged, clean it! - Vanity, grandiloquence. - Could mean an elderly person who causes trouble. - Rumors and lies are around you. - You may receive incorrect advice from a spiteful source. - Some mischief is afoot; guard against tricksters and smooth talkers.
- Brings calm, gives knowledge and good speech. - Used to help make wise decisions or gain divine revelations. - To increase communication skills, pass exams and gain wisdom. - To bring about success and leadership. - Generally helps with and divination or magic. - Bring about creative inspiration and reception of Odin's might.
- Used to help breathing. - Clear the mind.
RAIDO (Raidho, Raidha, Radh, Reidh, Rad, Ride)
Astrological Sign: Sagittarius
Stone(s): Turquoise, Jacinth
Associated Tarot Card: XIV - Temperance
The rune name Raido is interpreted variously as "wagon", "chariot", and "riding". Raido is the rune of ordered movement above all else. This movement is in space, time and the relationship between the two. Raido rules the rhythms of movement in all ways, melding the temporal and spatial with the personal needs of action. Raido is also a solar rune.
- Journey, pilgrimage, change, destiny, a quest, progress, a life lesson may be coming up soon. - Communication is needed, decisions have to be made - take control. Relate and connect your options as well as what is going on around you. - Unions and reunions are coming. - Relationship: There are upcoming fights in the relationship. - Do not rely solely on your own power, instead seek guidance from others/above. - Search for: spiritual wisdom; fulfillment; a quest. - Waiting may be the right action to do now. While you are waiting, remove what is resisting you. - Can mean physical travel, or a change in address. - Do not take the soft option or easy route. - Do not focus solely on your problems and become isolated from day to day events.
- Be attentive to personal relationships. - There may be rerouted opportunities. - Breakups may be more plentiful than unions right now. - Keep a sense of humour. - Disruption, dislocation, demotion, delusions. - Possibly a death (depending on the other runes in the casting). - Delays. - A visit to sick relatives or a friend in trouble is coming.
- Ensure a safe journey. - To help seek into the unknown. - Can arouse restlessness in others and dissatisfaction. - Cause changes - good or bad - depending on the accompanying runes. - To help you take control. - To help with legal matters.
- Help to evacuate all things that harm the body from the inside. (Poison, pus, etc.)
KENAZ (Kano, Kusmas, Cen, Ken, Kaun, Kaunaz, Torch)
Astrological Sign: Scorpio
Stone(s): Flint, Fire Opal, Fire Agate, Smokey Quartz
Associated Tarot Card: XX - Judgement
The source of the meaning behind Kenaz is one of the most deeply shrouded in the runic system. The rune's two names, "torch" and "sore, boil or swelling", seem to be totally unrelated to each other. This can be traced back to how the Germanic people used to prepare their dead for burial. Originally this was to leave the body to rot until the bones could be separated from the flesh, in order to prepare the person for initiation or death rites. Later, this separation of flesh from bones was done by fire - thus the two different names. Kenaz governs the primal craft of the smith and all works of knowledge crafted into action. Its work is that of cleansing followed by transformation. Kenaz is a rune of the fire element.
- Wisdom, insight, solution to a problem coming, creativity, inspiration, enlightenment. - You will experience renewed clarity. - It is a time for seriousness, clear intent and concentration. - Knowing, learning, a quest. - Opportunity is around the corner or already here. - Use your hereditary knowledge. - Relationship: Learn from each other. - Acceptance, vision and guidance, opening. - Intellectual pursuit lights the darks of the soul and dispels shadows. - You are the center where harmonic and beneficial forces meet, it is up to you to shape these forces. - Spiritual enlightenment. - Guidance from divine sources. - This rune is a sure sign that change is on the way!
- There will be a darkening in some relationship. - Death of a way that is no longer valid (not always physical). - Give up the old and live for a time empty. - Failure, clouds are covering the sun. - Partnership passing away (no longer valid)
***Failure to notice this passing WILL result in a missed opportunity! ***
- Nakedness, exposure, loss of illusion and false hopes. - Loss of prestige, social standing and material possessions.
- Restore self confidence and strengthen willpower. - Used in conjunction with Raido to penetrate mysteries. - To another: Dispels ignorance and brings about realization and insight. - Aid in study, bring clarity of thought. - Release anxiety and fear. - Aids with astral travel. - Give you mastery over sexual energy. - Bring forth power from your ancestors. - When used with other runes, Kenaz aids in shaping their power.
- Banish illness, negative energies and nagging thoughts. - Enhance insights, ideas, solutions and spiritual enlightenment.
GEBO (Giba, Gyfu, Gipt, Gifu, A Gift)
Astrological Sign: Gemini
Stone(s): Emerald, Jade
Associated Tarot Card: VI - The Lovers
The name of this rune varies to "gift", "hospitality", "generosity", and "wedding". This rune is the embodiment of the equal exchange of energies, as evidenced by its shape. To the Germanic people, the act of giving was a highly meaningful one, with the process of exchange also being a binding of loyalty.
- Gift, offering, relationship, love, marriage, partnership, generosity, unexpected good fortune. - A partnership in some form. - Know your spiritual forces. - Relationship: Give and take. - True partnerships come from being separate beings. - Do not make it a total union. - Something personal, freely given away. - A new, unexpected relationship. - Spiritual: Sacrifice to the gods. - The price may be the emotional happiness represented by this rune. - Someone may be trying to pull closer to you. - Generosity and synergy.
There is no reverse to this rune due to its shape.
- To another favorably as the bearer of gifts. - Create harmony in personal relationships. - Find or strengthen a relationship. - Fertility (in creating something). - To mark a gift or offering. - Bring luck in partnerships. - Balance opposing forces. - Used to exchange energies - especially in binding. - Works as a moderator if used with other runes.
- Heal mental and physical balance - both externally and internally
WUNJO (Winja, Wynn, Vend, Wyn)
Astrological Sign: Capricorn
Stone(s): Topaz, Rose Quartz, Kunzite
Associated Tarot Card: XXI - The World
The rune Wunjo, meaning "joy", rules the virtue of cheerfulness. A cheerful mind throughout hardships is seen as a great part of courage. Wunjo is the first rune of the will itself, as well as the rune of a balanced, integrated personality. To reach the goal of Wunjo, you must be able to keep your pains and sorrows from looming to large in your life. You must; however, also know some troubles in order to understand how to deal with the problems when they do arise.
- Success, recognition of achievements, reward, joy, bliss, achievement of goals, contentment. - Joyousness, new energy. - New clarity, illumination. - Relief after strife, restoration - Relationship: Enjoyment. - Knowledge transforms to understanding. - Re-evaluate your existing goals, ambitions or plans with new illumination. - Glory - Pleasure in possessions. - Natural rewards for sacrifice. - Generosity brings all rewards. - Transforming life for the better. - A fair-haired visitor may play a role in affairs.
- Things are slow to come to fruition. - Crisis, a difficult passage is at hand. - Everything is a test. - Examine yourself and your motives. - Light is mixed with dark - no clarity. - Delerium, intoxication, possession by higher forces, impractical enthusiasm. - Unhappiness, grief, loss of affection. - Depression, lack of confidence.
- Used as a vessel of energy to project authority. - To bring happiness and spiritual transformation. - Can make your deepest wish come true. ****Beware that this is what you truly want!****
- Success in endeavors (anything) - Motivate someone to complete a task. - Battle despair and sorrow, which weaken the soul. - Help to heal rifts between people.
- Harbringer of optimism, joy and peace.