The Third Aett
| Tiewaz | Berkana | Ehwaz | Mannaz | Laguz | Inguz | Dagaz | Othila |
TIEWAZ (Tiwaz, Teiws, Tiw, Tyr, Tir)
Astrological Sign: Aries
Stone(s): Bloodstone, Hematite, Ruby
Associated Tarot Card: IV - The Emperor
The Rune Tiewaz is the rune of stability and ordering force. One of the greatest sides of Tiewaz's being is its socio-religious nature as the rune of law. The spear shape of this rune shows the weapon of the sky-father god and lord of victory. The image of the one-handed god lifting a spear is shown in numerous indo-european carvings. This god is Tyr. Tyr originally held the highest place among the gods, as sky-father and lord of law, courage and war (as well as the god of oaths, honour and justice). Only when the runes and their power came known to humans did Odin become the All-Father, assuming such parts of Tyr's being as did not contradict his own nature. Tiewaz represents the separation of of the heavens and the earth. Tyr, and thus Tiewaz, is essentially a bipolar being, as evidenced by his one-handedness - a literal sign that he is bound to a single course of action. Tiewaz is the main rune used by, or on behalf, of those who are/were not themselves greatly skilled in runeword. As such, this rune was used a lot by the warriors.
- Duty, discipline, responsibility, self-sacrifice, conflict, strength, a wound, physicality. - The warrior path. - Use patience, there are rewards to this. - Look within yourself for the strength you need. - Be able to be alone. - Dedication, bravery, courage, justice, objectivity, judgement, fairness. - Relationship: Combined strength, authority - may be conflicts over who is boss. - You need to have faith that is unattatched to outcomes. - The real enemy may be yourself - examine what you are doing. - Examine new partnerships.
- Watch hasty actions. - Examine your motives carefully. - Matters of trust and confidence are at issue. - Short-lived lust. - Associations may be short-lived, but have served their purpose. - Focus on the outcomes, not the task itself.
- Protection, strength and victory. - Justice - Obtain absolute justice. - Increase courage, honour and strength.
**Can be used directly against another in revenge-defense magic -- ONLY if the cause is just!**
- To heal a wound. - Calm someone. - Give someone a strong will.
BERKANA (Berkano, Bjarkan, Bairkan, Beorc)
Astrological Sign: Taurus
Associated Tarot Card: V - The Hierophant and/or III - The Empress
The rune Berkana, "Birch", is the rune of the Great Mother. This rune embodies the root of the earth goddess whose powers of fertility must be renewed by the sacrifice of her consort each year. Berkana is the rune of the earth who receives the sacrifice/seed and holds it within herself, guarding and nourishing it until the time has come for it to return to the world outside again. This is the process of rebirth.
- Fertility, growth, health, new beginnings, conception, plenty, clearance. - Dispersal of resistance. - Cleansing, rebirth, ripening, blossoming. - Increased awareness and emotional stability. - Increase in creative abilities, use them! - Relationship: Fertility, children - also parental projection of self onto children - watch for this. - Dark corners need to be cleansed. - Gather information, but also share it with others. - Delve into things deeply. - Seek help from others if needed. - There is hidden transformation and growth - look for it.
- There are aspects of your character that are interfering with your growth. - Examine your role and what you are doing. - Stunted growth, failure. - Relax - you may have to act again. - Are you putting your own wants before the wants of others?
- Conception, female fertility magic. - Help with women's problems. - Help make a fresh start. - Used to shape force itself. - Concealment, protection and nurturing. - Passive warding. - Used with other Runes - hides their workings until the unified result is ready to be brought fully into being.
- Healing of infections. - Gives more efficiency to bandages to protect and preserve.
EHWAZ (Aihws, Ior, Eow, Eh)
Astrological Sign: Cancer
Stone(s): Turquoise, Sardonyx
Associated Tarot Card: VII - The Chariot
The rune Ehwaz is the rune of the "fetch" or fylgja - that part of the being which appears as a beast, showing the inner nature of the person it serves and which may be ridden between the worlds. This is similar to a "totem animal" in other cultures, but is more of a guardian spirit.
Ehwaz is also represented by the horse. The horse is particularly sacred both to Odin and to Freyr (the Lord of Wisdom and the Lord of the World respectively). Thus, the rune Ehwaz is very fitting for uniting mystical inspiration with earthly being. In this rune, you may read the mysteries of the alliance between the Hidden and the Mundane.
- Transportation, motion, assistance, energy, power, communication, will, recklessness. - Could be a physical shift or a new dwelling place. - There will be improvement in a situation. - Transition, new life, new outlook. - You need to develop your virtue. - Open yourself to the telepathic links around you. - Relationship: Sexuality - you will accomplish things with joint effort. - Your responses may be too emotional. - Forgiveness. - Face the future. - Share the good fortune that comes. - There will be transitions and physical shifts. - Steady growth and development.
- Not all possibiliies are open to you. - You may need to avoid action. - Blocked movement, obstruction. - There are no missed opportunities - recognize that not all opportunities are for you. - What is yours will come to you in time - not now.
- Aid in communication. - To build power. - To help send a spell. - To bring people together or break them apart. - Transportation. - Fertility - Bind power to the fetus or newborn. - To gain power under the guidance of wisdom. - Help you to understand the will of the gods. - To help build a rapport with any vehicle of motion. - Used with other runes - Unites the streams of power.
- Give the will to go faster. - Give the will to live.
MANNAZ (Mannazold, Manna, Mann, Madhr)
Astrological Sign: Aquarius
Associated Tarot Card: 0 - The Fool
The rune name Mannaz is a close cognate to the god Mannus of the Germanic tribes. Mannaz is the rune of the rational mind and the intelligence which is the greatest gift to human beings. It shows the interactions of thought and memory. Mannaz is the Rune of the perfect intellect which melds reason and intuition. The essence of Mannaz is Water.
- The Self, a significator, family, community relationships, social concerns. - Remain modest. - It is a time for growth and self-discovery - A beginning, a new direction. - You need to have a willingness to change. - Legal affairs may become an issue. - Mind and intellectual objectivity. - Relationship: Intellectual compatability and mutual understanding. - It is time for a quiet mind. - Be yielding, devoted and moderate. - Time to use your rational mind and intelligence.
- Be clear with yourself. - Don't give yourself airs. - Stunted, blocked in. - If there is a blockage, it comes from within. - Stop and reflect. - Look to yourself.
- To represent a specific person or group of people. - To help social relationships. - Strengthen intelligence and memory. - With other runes - Guides their workings into the realm of the mind.
- Used for the Brain. - To help headaches. - To assist with reflection.
LAGUZ (Lagus, Lagu, Logr)
Astrological Sign: Aquarius
Associated Tarot Card: XVII - The Star
The Rune Laguz is the rune of primal water. Standing water where venom collects and ferments was thought of as much more dangerous than running water. Running water is active, life holding and holy. Laguz is the rune which enables you to search back through the layers of That-Which-Is and be able to move through its structure at will in order to read an orlog. As well as being the rune of concealment and the unknown, Laguz is a rune by which life is brought forth from darkness and the hidden is brought into the light. Laguz is a rune of transitions between life and death - the awakener at life's beginning and the water to be crossed at its end.
- Emotions, fears, the unconscious mind, things hidden, revelations, intuition, counseling. - It is a time for cleansing - revalue and reorganize. - Intuition, use your sympathetic feelings. - You have unseen powers, seek them out and use them. - There are emotional needs to be fulfilled. - Be fluid. - Influences from the occult and/or sexual. - Use your intuitive facilities. - Relationship: Affection, there may be emotionality. You need to have flexibility. - Reorganize and realign. - Experience life without evaluating or understanding.
- Do not overreach - Watch excessive striving. - Failure to draw upon the wisdom of instinct. - Go within yourself and honor the your receptive side.
- Used to enhance your psychic abilities. - Used to help confront fears. - To help stabilize emotions and intellect. - To help facilitate mutual feelings. - To help uncover mysteries. - To fill yourself with life force and send it from world to world. - To help probe the subconscious and the unknown. - To give physical and magical strength. - Aid with psychological insight. - To bring out the effects of past workings. - When used with other runes - Strengthens them and may be used to help send their workings from world to world. Can be used to set the other runes to work in secret or to bring them up from their root in the hidden realms of being.
- Used to combat poisons.
INGUZ (Ingwaz, Iggus, Ing)
Astrological Sign: Sagattarius
Associated Tarot Card: X - The Wheel of Fortune
The rune Inguz is the male counterpart to Berkana. As Berkana is the great mother who receives, conceals, and brings forth. Inguz is her sacrificed consort who is protected in her womb until the rebirth. Inguz is the rune by which power is stored. A gateway to hidden realms, it is the rune which converts active power to potential power.
- Work, productivity, bounty, balance, staying grounded, a connection with the land. - Search for similarities in what is befalling you. - Completion of beginnings. - New beginnings, a new path. - Rebirth. - You can free yourself from a rut. - Harmony, deliverance. - Associated with the Moon and Astral entities. - Relationship: Parenthood, integration, co-operation, unity. - Progression with the problem. - You need to have faith.
There is no reverse to this rune due to its shape.
- Balance and general health. - Fertility. - Good for Moon magic. - Used to store power. - Reveal the gateway to hidden realms. - Used with other runes - Stores their energy until it is needed (good for talismans).
- Facilitate fetal development. - Gives more efficiency to pills.
DAGAZ (Daguz, Dagr, Dags, Daeg)
Astrological Sign: Scorpio
Associated Tarot Card: XIII - Death
The rune Dagaz is the completion of the processes of Gebo and Algiz. The synergyy gained by the exchange of energies shown in Gebo reaches its transcendent substance in Dagaz. This rune may be compared to the alchemical Philosopher's Stone. Dagaz is the rune of achievement of transcendant conciousness, in which the participant becomes one with the universe in a flash of blinding awareness. It is the moment of awakening, the eternal moment of being reached through Hegel's process of thesis-antithesis-synthesis.
- Happiness, success, activity, satisfaction, a fulfilling lifestyle. - There will be a major shift in self-change. - The outcome is assured, although not predictable. - Transformation, complete change. - Accomplishment, prosperity. - Extreme transition. - You must seize the moment. - A catalyst, hope. - Relationship: One partner contributes to the others' spiritual or psychological welfare. - A major breakthrough is at hand. - Do not collapse yourself into the future - that is reckless. - A successful conclusion to your passage
** If followed by Odin's Rune, the transformation may be so total as to portend a death. **
There is no reverse to this rune due to its shape.
- To bring a positive outcome or to completion. - Prosperity - To help end one cycle and begin the next. - Used to represent the watchers. - Chiefly used for meditation - It transforms consciousness and being on all levels. - Used with other runes - Synthesizes their might into a single transcendent awareness.
- To give consciousness (in case of a coma, for example).
OTHILA (Othala, Odhal, Othal, Ethel)
Astrological Sign: Cancer
Stone(s): Petrified Wood
Associated Tarot Card: II - The High Priestess
The rune Othila is the rune of inheritance. Because of this, it rules not only the bounds of the clan itself, but the mysteries of inherited power as well. This rune is tied to the families' guardian power. As the final rune and completion of the Futhark, Othila holds all of the Runes - the power of the runes is our mystical heritage. This rune is used to strengthen the ties of the clan (this includes all those of similar physical and/or spiritual ancestry) and to bring out the wisdom and power from all sources of your heritage, including past life knowledge and talents.
- Property, land, inheritance, home, permenance, legacy, synthesis, a sense of belonging. - Discard your old skin. - It may be time for a possible strategic retreat. - Hermitage. - Need for centering and grounding. - Family values. - Connected to your heritage and/or ethnic origins. - Relationship: Domesticity, property, in-laws, social life. - You may be too comfortable, watch what you are doing. - You may need to give up a portion of your background. - You are living in a closed world - while this is comfortable for you, you need to open up some. - Look to your past for answers.
- Don't be bound by old conditioning. - Do what benefits you AND others. - Cultivate adaptability and skillful means. - You need a departure from old ways. - Be honest with yourself.
- Represents land and/or property - ownership. - Strengthen family ties. - Draw upon heritage and ancestral power. - Centering yourself or a situation. - Bring wisdom and power to you from ALL sources. - Used with other runes - Defines their sphere of working.
- Cauterization of a wound.